Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day, If You Insist

My mother-in-law, Irma, called yesterday to tell me about the front page story in an East Boston newspaper. It reports that Father's Day gets less respect than even Ground Hog's Day and St. Patty's.

My response?

I see nothing wrong with that,thankyouverymuch. Just as on our wedding day, chicks rule, we're the stars, it's all about us.

But I guess on this ONE day of the year, we could make it about "them" for an hour or two.

So, thanks, guys, for fathering our children, writing those checks, and for telling us we're even more beautiful than the day you married us -- all because we're the mothers of your children.

Ooops. Did I just make that about us again? My bad.

***

Encore! Happy Father's Day, David. You're a great dad.

5 comments:

Stacy~ said...

Oh, I loved Father Knows Best, and is it crazy that I had a crush on Bud? Well, I did. I loved that show...

And I remember watching the episode where Cathy thought she was adopted - made me cry cuz it was so sweet.

Happy Father's Day!

Julie in Ohio said...

There isn't as much hype around Father's Day as there is Mother's Day because men don't care. Stay with me here.
Anniversaries, who are they really for...woman. Valentine's Day, who are they for...woman. Christmas, who wants a big, shiny present...woman. And for the most part, they don't whine about it. Actually when I get my guy a card or present (and he gets one every year), he looks at it and says "what's this for?".

Father's Day is women's way of saying "sure we'll share the accolades. We know that we aren't the only ones rearing this family."

Having said that, my DH a great dad and, for all the nagging I do on him, he is fantastic and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Give all of your mens an extra squeeze because they are good sports about letting us have our way so many times through the year. :o)

Michelle Buonfiglio said...

Well said, JulieO!

I kinda thought Bud was a sweetie, too, Stace. But we probably both want to make clear that we only ever watched in reruns, right? :)

rachd said...

It's interesting that the paper said that. Around here Father's Day is a big fat deal! In fact, last year when I was trying to schedule a session with the Picture People for my oldest I was informed Father's Day was their second largest holiday (behind Christmas). Hallmark was SO busy this past week it was insane.

That said, it really and truly is all about us, and I'm so grateful I have a guy who is willing to concede that point =).

So, to my dh, the father of my babies and an all around amazing man, Happy Father's Day =)!!

Stacy~ said...

Oh yeah it was re-runs...otherwise I'd look pretty darn good for my age LOL.