Tuesday, February 07, 2006

For he was a big man...


When I first started reading romance novels, I noticed these words/phrases so often I wondered whether romance authors used them intentionally as "inside" jokes:


1. Her mouth opened in an O of arousal (many variations)
2. Clever fingers (hands)
3. Planes of: chest, forehead, cheekbones
4. She'd never felt anything like it before (could we at least drop the before?)
5. Laved
7. She sunk her teeth into her lower lip (variations)
8. For he was a big man, big in all ways (and all its glorious variations)

What are the words/phrases you tire/never tire of reading in romance novels?

Ciao for Now!

Michelle

Encore! Just finished "Beauty and the Spy." Wowza! www.julieannelong.com

5 comments:

Sylvia Day said...

I had to stop by and say hi to you, Michelle!! It's great to see you blogging. :)

Michelle Buonfiglio said...

Thanks, Sylvia, for being my first commentor! Looking forward to writing about BAD BOYS AHOY in 2 weeks.

amy*skf said...

The juncture of her thighs...
Her maidenly pearl...
Frankly I am titillated, yes titillated anytime an author can work the 'he was a big man in all ways'into her work. Immature? Maybe Michelle, but I don't care.
I love it.

amy*skf said...

I thought of another one--haven't seen it in awhile, but there used to be a requirement of 'arms akimbo' used at least twice in a romance.

amy*skf said...

Arms akimbo--used to see that one at least twice in every historical I read--sometimes I'd like it, sometimes I wouldn't. "Akimbo" is a funny word and it tended to make me laugh so sometimes it would kill the moment.